Sunday, September 19, 2010

Friday was a hard day at work. I had my first official observation. It went well, but I was a little hyper sensitive given the fact that I was feeling very sick all day. The kids were excited for the weekend. The air conditioning went out in the whole school. I was sweating. So were the kids. After recess one of my boys came up to me and said, "Mrs. Dyer, some kid out there said you are the worstest teacher ever. Really, its true, he said it!" After politely reminding him to return to his seat I just thought .... "of all the days to hear that..."

First of all, worstest isn't a word. And I have to remind myself that it was some kid who doesn't even know me and was probably pulling the whole "my teacher is better than yours" thing. I was telling this to my sister later that night, trying to lick my wounds, and she said, "You are not allowed to care what a 7 year old thinks about you." Then she added that he probably said that because he was jealous that he wasn't in my class.

That made me think, and I have decided that I agree. I was sick and emotional that day. But regardless of that, I do have a fun class. We love read alouds. We get really into them. I have a store where they can buy silly bands and candy. I hug them everyday and tell them how much I love having them in my class. So even though Friday was rough, I am looking forward to Monday. Because I may not be a perfect teacher, but I am trying my hardest to be the best teacher I can be for them. And you know what? I think they know that.

2 comments:

  1. you are just filling them up with love. and i'm so happy they get to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Miss Dyer: I am so happy you're teaching little ones. I remember when you were my "little one" in Primary. Your students are very lucky to have you. Keep your head high and keep up the good work. You will leave an imprint on their hearts. Love, Sis. Marshall

    ReplyDelete